Thursday, August 12, 2010
Are you ready for Virtual Book Club? (By the way, I just saw a mash-up of Jane Austen’s books and the movie, Fight Club, called Jane Austen's Fight Club. Pretty hilarious if you want to take a look.)
August is Beach Book Month, and for anyone new, we’re going to be discussing On Folly Beach. I’ll start us off with a few big ideas from the Discussion Guide, but please feel free to comment on any aspect of the book you choose.
Also, I’m looking ahead to September as possible Young Adult Month, so if you have any suggestions or recommendations for YA reads, I’d love to hear them! A few I had in mind are Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games and Gayle Forman's If I Stay.
Okay, shall we get started with our On Folly Beach discussion? Some ideas to talk about:
1. Setting: What did you think of Folly Beach as a setting? The author’s descriptions? The name “Folly Beach” and its significance?
2. Characters: Who was your favorite? Anyone you didn’t like? Why? Anyone you had trouble wrapping your head around?
3. Perspectives: Did you like that the story was told from the third person, but switched back and forth between WWII era and present day? Did you find yourself looking forward to reading one part over the other? Why?
4. Mystery: If you’re finished, you know there’s quite a shocker toward the end. Did you see it coming? Feelings about it?
5. Romance: There are several romantic relationships described in the book. Did one ring more true than another? Were they satisfying?
6. English teacher question: Comment on a symbol, such as the bottle trees.
Remember, you don’t have to answer all questions, and you can talk about whatever you like. The discussion will no doubt be more lively if you read other people's comments first and respond to what’s already been said, as well as provide your own insights. We hope to hear from you soon!!
Sunday, August 1, 2010
I received so many wonderful entries to this contest and read such touching and inspiring stories about animal adoptions and rescues. It was incredibly difficult to choose just three (and as you can see, I didn’t), but here are the winners!
JHS: WINNER OF BOOK CLUB PACKAGE
Amy: WINNER OF SIGNED COPY
Benita: WINNER OF SIGNED COPY
Indigo: WINNER OF SIGNED COPY
I will be emailing the winners shortly for their addresses. Thanks so much to everyone who entered for sharing your incredible stories with us!!
AND… for those participating in the inaugural month of the Virtual Book Club (anyone is welcome!), we have selected On Folly Beach for August. We’ll begin the discussion in a few weeks. Hope to see you there!!
Posted by Eve Marie Mont at 12:05 PM