home •  y.a. series •  other books • bio •  events & reviews •  contact •   links & extras

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop!

‘The Next Big Thing’ Blog Hop is a chance for authors to tell you what they’re working on. An author answers 10 questions about her next book, then tags five other authors to help spread the word!

A huge thank you to Alyssa Goodnight, who tagged me!

Here’s my Q&A about the sequel to A Breath of Eyre, A Touch of Scarlet, releasing March 26, 2013:



1 What is the working title of your book?
A Touch of Scarlet, as the book is inspired by The Scarlet Letter.

2 Where did the idea come from for the book?
Did you ever have a book you hated in high school, but then you read it again as an adult and were like, “Wow, this book is amazing; I just didn’t appreciate it when I was sixteen.” That’s what happened to me with The Scarlet Letter. After I wrote A Breath of Eyre, in which my character gets lost in the novel Jane Eyre, I was looking for other classic novels to inspire Books 2 and 3. For the sequel, I needed to send Emma into a book that would put her through the wringer, so to speak. The Scarlet Letter deals with identity, power, guilt, hypocrisy, sexuality—many of the issues teens face in high school—so it seemed like the perfect catalyst to force Emma out of her comfort zone.

3 What genre does your book fall under?
Not an easy question, but I guess I’d say contemporary with a touch of paranormal.

4 Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Even though I don’t usually imagine actors while I’m drafting, these casting choices wouldn’t ruin my day:

Lily Collins as Emma




Olivia Thurlby as Michelle



Hayley Williams as Jess


Annasophia Robb as Elise



Colton Haynes as Gray


a young Brandon Flowers as Flynn



Steven R. McQueen as Owen


5 What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A girl with the ability to slip into the books she’s reading finds truth and fiction merging through the pages of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s classic, The Scarlet Letter.

6 Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I am represented by April Eberhardt Literary, and the book is being published by Kensington Books.

7 How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
For some reason, the sequel took much longer to write than Book 1. From start to finish, it probably took me a year and a half to write, although I was teaching full-time as well.

8 What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Maybe other books inspired by classic literature, like Kelly Creagh’s Nevermore, Lesley Livingston’s Wondrous Strange, or Kathryn Burak’s Emily’s Dress and Other Missing Things.

9 Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I am always inspired by my students, who manage to navigate some treacherous waters with grace and resilience.

10 What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I think A Touch of Scarlet might appeal to readers who love gothic novels, New England settings, romance, family dynamics, classic literature, and themes of identity and coming of age.

Now I’m going to tag the following wonderful writers:

A.C. Gaughen
Sarah Perry
Tiffany Schmidt
Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Please visit their blogs on Monday, November 12, when they will publish their answers to the same questions.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and feel free to leave me a comment below!!

Message for the tagged authors and interested others:

Rules of The Next Big Thing
***Use this format for your post
***Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress)
***Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:
What is the working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or What inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged.

Piece of advice: Line up your five people in advance.

4 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Great interview, Eve!! I am sooo looking forward to reading this one! I actually really liked The Scarlet Letter when I read it in high school!

And thanks for the book recommendations!

Krista said...

I love love using Scarlet Letter that happens to be a fav of mine although I am a Jane Fan at heart I love love A Breath of Eyre, I wear a necklace of Bronte around my neck. I love this and cannot wait for the release of your new book I have it pinned already on my wishlist. Thanks for letting ne get to know about this wonderful upcoming book!!! Thanks
Krista

Eve Morasco said...

Thanks, Alyssa!! You must have been more mature than I to appreciate TSL back in high school!

And Krista, thanks so much for commenting. I'm so glad you liked ABoE, and that you're looking forward to A Touch of Scarlet. I'm so excited to be able to share it soon!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.